Documentation for (virtual) servers¶
Documentation for virtual servers should include the following information:
- Where is it?
- Location, e.g. rack number or visualisation infrastructure
- IP address(es)
- DNS name(s)
- What is it?
- Operating system
- Human readable purpose
- Who knows about it?
- Responsible system administrator
- Secondary system administrators
- Project manager
- Which services does it run?
For each service, list the following:
- Service name
- Status verification
- Log file
- Configuration file(s)
- Data directories
- How can it be fixed?
List possible procedures for emergencies, such as
- Whether to try rebooting or remounting something
- How to restore from backup